My Top 5 at home exercises to lose inches and tone up (without getting bulky)
I often get a lot of requests for at home workouts. I know how time consuming it can be to organise things in advance and actually get to the gym.
Sometimes just getting it done at home is far more convenient. (for myself included!)
A lot of you wanted to know how to target your trouble areas (thighs, calves, arms and belly)…
These can be done anywhere – at home, at the gym, outdoors – anywhere! So they get the triple thumbs up from me.
These days, my focus is on my family. So I have to build exercise around my family life – not the other way around. I am a busy mother of four - I cook, clean and run a household. As my time is limited, I cannot spend hours at the gym.
So I look for exercises that either work my bigger muscle groups and/or work several muscle groups at once.
So here’s some exercises that I LOVE doing and that get results FAST:
1. Burpees: I love this move because it combines cardio with toning and it works your whole body at once - core, upper body and legs! A simple move to execute, but challenging to do if you’re not fit or strong. Burpees are hard to do and with good reason – they work and they get results. You should be doing them in your routine if you want to see a dramatic change in your overall body shape. As you increase your fitness, you’ll be able to do them faster and for longer ;-)
2. Lunges- lunges are an excellent thigh toning exercise especially for that ‘saddle bag’ area that’s a problem for many women. Not only that, they are going to target one of your biggest muscle groups, and the more you work your bigger muscle groups, the more calories you burn. The other thing I love about lunges is there’s so many variations of the standard lunge that can be performed as you build your fitness and which will really ignite your results. Stationary lunges are great for beginners. Add weight from dumbbells or a barbell to step it up a notch, then move onto walking lunges and jump lunges! Jump lunges are an incredible calorie burner and involve cardio and resistance just like burpees.
3. Jacknife Crunches - this move is a bit more advanced however I love it because it works your upper and lower abs at the same time, therefore cutting your ab workout time down. Lower abs can generally be harder to train without equipment which is why this move is a winner!
4.Plank – while the plank is generally thought of as a core toning exercise, it really is so much more. This movement simultaneously works your biceps, shoulders, lower back, calves, legs and chest. It can even be a good booty workout if you squeeze your glutes while holding the plank position. Just like with lunges, the plank has other variations too which will increase the intensity level or work new muscle groups. The slide plank is one such example which works your obliques and gives your outer thighs a good workout.
5. Push Ups – these should not just be seen as an arm workout. Push-ups are a total body exercise! They can be easily modified to simultaneously be an effective core workout by getting on your toes instead of knees, and you can switch up between bicep and tricep pushups. I like to play with the speed and timing of the reps, speeding up and slowing down, to get a deeper muscle workout.
These are my ‘go to’ top 5 favourite ‘at home’ fat burning exercises. You could combine all these together for great fat burning ‘all over body’ workout – do 3 sets of 20 reps. Just don’t forget to warm up at the beginning and stretch at the end, to help avoid injury.
Comment below your thoughts, I’ve love to hear how you’re going and what you think of my at home exercises!
- In the Media (2015)
- To Stretch Or Not To Stretch?
- Speedy Abs
- Why you should never skip a meal
- How to banish your mummy tummy and lose stomach flab to reveal ABS