Cooking should be fun and creative, and when cooking for your family during the week, it should also be fast. Beat the weeknight stress and have dinner on the table in a flash with my favourite zoodle recipe!
This light and nourishing dish from Everyday Thermo is a family favourite. It’s a staple in our home and I know once you try it for yourself, it will be in your home too! Not only is it gluten-free and dairy-free, but it’s super quick to whip up so you can spend more time with your loved ones.
Like all my Everyday Thermo meals, this zingy dish uses wholesome everyday ingredients that pack a nourishing punch. The fats found in ingredients such as salmon, walnuts and extra virgin olive oil are all an essential part of a healthy balanced diet. Here are just a few benefits of this recipes’ main ingredients:
Nutritionally dense and something of a 'superfood', salmon is an important part of a healthy diet and supplies beneficial omega-3 fatty acids which contribute to a healthy heart and help maintain skin, joints and hormonal balance. This oily fish is also a great source of protein, which is important for maintaining bone health, preventing muscle loss and helping the body heal and repair.
The humble zucchini offers a lot more than you may realise. This low-carb green hero is a nutrient powerhouse. On top of providing an array of vitamins and minerals, zucchini also delivers super-healthy compounds called carotenoids—specifically lutein and zeaxanthin - which help to protect your skin, slow or lower your risk of developing cardiovascular disease, and help strengthen bones.
Ready to tuck into this delicious dish yet? Here it is - my favourite zoodle recipe!
Zoodles With Salmon & Walnut Pesto
Prep + cook time: 20 minutes
Nutritional information (per serve):
Cals: 286 Protein: 18.8g Fat: 21.2g Carbs: 3.6g Fibre: 3.7g
- 60g baby spinach and rocket salad mix
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (see tip opposite)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (25g) coarsely chopped roasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pitted green Sicilian olives
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 300g skinless boneless salmon fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 large zucchini (450g), cut into zoodles
- 1 medium lemon (140g), cut into wedges
- Place 1 tablespoon water, salad mix, parsley, garlic, walnuts, olives, olive oil and lemon juice in a mixing bowl; blend for 3 sec/speed 4. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Repeat blending. Transfer pesto to a bowl; season. Cover the surface of pesto directly with plastic wrap. Makes 1 cup.
- Pour 2 cups (500g) water into a mixing bowl. Place salmon in the steaming dish; season. Stack steaming tray on top of steaming dish. Add zucchini noodles to the steaming tray; cover. Position over mixing bowl. Steam for 10 min/steam mode/speed 3.
- Divide zoodles among shallow bowls; top with flaked salmon and pesto. Serve with lemon wedges. Scatter with extra flat-leaf parsley leaves, if you like.
Meal Prep Tip: Make a double batch of pesto and freeze it, covered with a thin film of oil, in an airtight container.
Love this recipe and looking for more delicious recipes to whip up throughout the week? Give my Chicken Korma and my Chilli Con Carne recipe a try, or find hundreds of nutritious meals for all occasions in my recipe books!