Finally, a step in the right direction for Australians!No more junk!!! It's completely gone from the food pyramid! A great step in the right direction for nutrition and wellbeing within Australia. In the wake of Nutrition Australia releasing a new Healthy Eating Pyramid, the first update in 15 years, I want to provide some tips for you all looking for something even further to help you make healthy food choices, for you AND your family! So why the change? Nutrition Australia Victoria Division, Executive Offer Lucinda Hancock said 'the latest health survey data shows that the average Australian is getting more than a third of their daily energy intake from junk foods, while less than seven per cent of people eat enough vegetables and only half of us eat enough fruit.' Let's recap those figures:
- A third of Australians receive their daily energy intake from junk foods
- 7% of people eat enough vegetables - what about the other 93% people?
- 50% of Australians eat enough fruit
So, what has changed in the pyramid?
- Firstly, the new pyramid cuts through the misleading information and fad diets and provides Australians with a credible, flexible and realistic guide to eating well.
- Secondly, rather than cereals, grains, pasta, bread and rice- it has been replaced with vegetables, legumes and fruits! TICK
- You will then notice that in the old pyramid, we had sweets, cakes, sugar loaded snacks and soft drinks- this has not been replaced with essential fats.