Beat the weeknight stress and have dinner on the table in a flash with these healthy and speedy recipes!
CHAI-ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUP
The timing of this recipe is perrrrfect! My Chai-Roasted Pumpkin Soup will be sure to warm your family's bellies and fit into your macros too. The weather is getting colder and I couldn't think of a better recipe to share with you than this delicious soup taken from MACROS.
- 1kg pumpkin, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup (25g) walnuts
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons rice bran oil
- 1 small onion (80g), chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3/4 cup (180ml) vegetable stock
- 1 3/4 cups (430ml) water
- ⅓ cup (95g) low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped
- fresh coriander
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Place pumpkin on the tray in a single layer. Sprinkle with cardamom, cinnamon and pepper, then spray with oil. Roast for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, line a small oven tray with baking paper. Place nuts on tray; drizzle with honey. Roast for 5 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- Heat rice bran oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add pumpkin, stock and the water to the pan; bring to the boil. Remove from heat; cool for 10 minutes.
- Blend or process pumpkin mixture until smooth. Return pan to heat and stir until hot.
- To serve, drizzle soup with yoghurt; sprinkle with honey nuts and coriander.
These meatballs from My Kids Eat Volume 2 taste SO fresh and can be whipped up quickly and easily. These are delicious with pasta and a tomato-based sauce, and just as good served cold in school lunch boxes the next day.
- 2/3 cup (80g) frozen peas
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 350g chicken mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (50g) dried multigrain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1/3 cup (80g) ricotta
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 250g spaghetti
- 2 tbs fresh mint leaves, extra
- 1/3 cup (25g) flaked or grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 240°C. Grease and line a small shallow roasting pan with baking paper.
- Place peas in a medium heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and stand for 1 minute; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the water.
- Blend or process peas, reserved water, rind and chopped mint until just combined.
- Combine chicken, garlic, breadcrumbs and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in pea mixture and ricotta.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls using wet hands. Place in prepared pan and drizzle with oil.
- Roast meatballs for 15 minutes, turning once. Add tomatoes and vinegar; roast for a further 5 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and sauce is hot. Season sauce to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender. Drain.
- Serve pasta with meatballs and sauce. Top with extra mint and parmesan.
ZOODLES WITH SALMON AND WALNUT PESTO
This light, fresh and fast dish from Everyday Thermo is a family favourite. Super quick to whip up so you can spend more time with loved ones.
- 60g baby spinach and rocket salad mix
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (see tip opposite)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (25g) coarsely chopped roasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pitted green Sicilian olives
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 300g skinless boneless salmon fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 large zucchini (450g), cut into zoodles (see tip opposite)
- 1 medium lemon (140g), cut into wedges
- Place 1 tablespoon water, salad mix, parsley, garlic, walnuts, olives, olive oil and lemon juice in mixing bowl; blend for 3 sec/speed 4. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Repeat blending. Transfer pesto to a bowl; season. Cover surface of pesto directly with plastic wrap. Makes 1 cup.
- Pour 2 cups (500g) water into mixing bowl. Place salmon in the steaming dish; season. Stack steaming tray on top of steaming dish. Add zucchini noodles to steaming tray; cover. Position over mixing bowl. Steam for 10 min/steam mode/speed 3.
- Divide zoodles among shallow bowls; top with flaked salmon and pesto. Serve with lemon wedges. Scatter with extra flat-leaf parsley leaves, if you like.
Meal Prep Tip: Make a double batch of pesto and freeze it, covered with a thin film of oil, in an airtight container.
Looking for more delicious recipes to whip up throughout the week? Give my Chicken Korma and my Chilli Con Carne recipe a try, or find hundreds of nutritious meals for all occasions in my recipe books!
Which recipe will you try first? Let me know in the comments!