I am HUGE on reading before bed. It's the ideal time to soak up information. I am always looking at some form of screen for work, so before I hit the hay I'd rather digest words from paper, not pixels.
For me, reading is such an effective way to wind down from technology and screens. It gives you a moment to relax and switch off between turning off your devices and falling asleep. Not only that, but it allows me to keep evolving my knowledge and perspective on life.
I believe that in order to grow, we need to continue to learn and expand our mindset. We’re so lucky to have so many words of wisdom and guidance at our fingertips - we need to embrace the opportunity to keep flourishing!
If that's not reason enough for you to get in some chapters tonight... Research by the University of Sussex has even found that 6 minutes of reading can reduce your stress by two thirds!
I aim to read one book a week, alternating between self development/business/money with a lil romance fiction (my favourite!).
Here are some of my current faves:
- David explores the four commitments that define a life of meaning and purpose: to a spouse and family, to a vocation, to a philosophy or faith, and to a community. Our personal fulfillment depends on how well we choose and execute these commitments.
- Firmly grounded in the day-to-day reality of being a mother, Buddhism for Mothers discusses Buddhist teachings as applied to the everyday challenges of bringing up children. A great read if you want to become a calmer and happier mother.
- All you need to know about life, its lessons on restructuring your life, finding self-esteem and self-love, and how to do the work on yourself, is right here in this wonderfully inspirational book.
- A gripping fiction read! The Girl on the Train meets Before I Go to Sleep with a dash of Bridget Jones in this chilling tale of love gone horribly wrong.
- With stories of his own work and those of specialists around the globe, The Body Keeps the Score sheds new light on the routes away from trauma - which lie in the regulation and syncing of body and mind, using sport, drama, yoga, mindfulness, meditation and other routes to equilibrium.
- I have been collecting (and writing!) words and quotes that resonate with me for years to bring you More than Words. There are words to empower when you feel lost, words to ignite motivation when you need a boost, words to get you through a rainy day, and words to remind you how special you are.
What’s your favourite book right now? Let me know in the comments below or reach out to me on Instagram @sophie_guidolin