Keep reading for some of my favourite seasonal product for Spring, plus a fresh, free recipe - my Chicken Meatballs!
Spring ROCKS here in Australia – the air is warming up, the sun is rising earlier, the twins celebrated their birthday . . . and this year, I’m celebrating the release of My Kids Eat Volume 2!
You all know how much I love choosing and cooking the freshest fruits and veggies.
There’s nothing better than a completely stocked fridge, with all my veggies washed, trimmed and stored in clear containers, ready to cook with.
I love how the different seasons bring different fruits and veggies to enjoy – spring seems to have the best of the best (ok, except for summer – mmmm, mangoes!).
I am all about seasonal eating and reducing the carbon footprint of my food. The less time the fresh produce spends on a truck, in a fridge or in a store, the better.
Here’s just some of the foods that come into season in spring – does it get your appetite going?
Check out my favourites, then scroll down because I’m sharing an EXCLUSIVE free recipe straight from the pages of My Kids Eat Volume 2!
I can’t wait for this book to drop – it is such a family affair, with recipes I created with Kai and Ryder and some of the girls’ favourite dishes.
You will LOVE it!
Chicken Meatballs recipe from My Kids Eat Volume 2, dropping for pre-sale at 7am AEST, October 1!
These meatballs just taste like spring – the peas, the lemon, the mint and the ricotta make them so light and fresh.
These are delicious with pasta and a tomato-based sauce, and just as good served cold in school lunch boxes the next day.
- 2/3 cup (80g) frozen peas
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 350g chicken mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (50g) dried multigrain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1/3 cup (80g) ricotta
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 250g spaghetti
- 2 tbs fresh mint leaves, extra
- 1/3 cup (25g) flaked or grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 240°C. Grease and line a small shallow roasting pan with baking paper.
- Place peas in a medium heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and stand for 1 minute; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the water.
- Blend or process peas, reserved water, rind and chopped mint until just combined.
- Combine chicken, garlic, breadcrumbs and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in pea mixture and ricotta.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls using wet hands. Place in prepared pan and drizzle with oil.
- Roast meatballs for 15 minutes, turning once. Add tomatoes and vinegar; roast for a further 5 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and
- sauce is hot. Season sauce to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender. Drain.
- Serve pasta with meatballs and sauce. Top with extra mint and parmesan.
Made it? Tag me in your photos @sophie_guidolin. Can’t wait for My Kids Eat Volume 2?